In this second instalment of a three-part series, here are more ways that staff can maintain the right level of security when using their devices in the summer holidays:
– Install a Reliable Security Suite. Being away from the home/office means re-installing everything on laptop for example would be a nightmare. Make sure you have a reliable security suite installed on your devices, which includes antivirus, anti-malware, and firewall protection.
– Backup Your Data. Regularly backing up your data ensures that if your device gets lost, stolen, or compromised whilst you’re on your travels, you’ll still have access to your important files.
– Use Encrypted Messaging Apps. If you need to share sensitive information (e.g. giving family members a hotel door code), use encrypted messaging apps to ensure your communication is secure.
– Avoid Public Charging Stations. Being on holiday means you’re often away from secure charging ports more often and scammers know this. Public USB charging stations can be a security risk. Use your own charger and plug it into a power outlet whenever possible. Alternatively, use a mobile-power-bank.
– Use a Password Manager. Remembering passwords whilst you’re out and about is a challenge! Password managers can help you create and store complex, unique passwords for each of your accounts, improving your overall security.